Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

A Universe on my Finger

I have never seen a smaller starfish in my life.
Not before... not since...
It gives a whole new meaning to "Twinkle, twinkle little star", doesn't it?

I found this starfish in a tide pool on California's Pacific Coast.
It left both Angie and me a little speechless.
Never before had I considered the fact that starfish might start small.

Think about how little we know about starfish...
Not scientists, I mean us... people who go to beaches and collect shells and build sandcastles and swim.
I don't know about you, but I've seen a couple thousand starfish in my life. Certainly I've seen more starfish than I've seen bears or lobsters or even Ferrari's.

But when I held this starfish, I realized how little I knew about them...
I still don't know much about starfish, but I like the fact that this photo reminds me of how little I know, every time I see it.


0 comments: